I thought about cycling as I did an enhanced Bandelier Loop (i.e., add a bunch of little loops through Pajarito Acres and White Rock) this morning. Some standout rides.
1. Favorite commute to work: From Kalama Valley to the University of Hawaii, via the Ka Iwi Coast on Kalanianaole Highway. No ka oi. See photo and weep. Distant second place: Port Jeff Station to SUNY Stony Brook via Sheep Pasture Road.
|Yep, that was my commute to SOEST, U of Hawaii|
3. Favorite Long Ride (roughly 60-70 miles): First place, Stony Brook, Long Island out to Mattituck and back along the North Shore back in the eighties. Back then, this was along a lot of quiet north coast roads, with a good mix of evil-steep short climbs where the roads traveled the Harbor Hill Moraine and long spins when it did not. Second place: Windward Oahu, any start and finish, as long as you stop at the Hygienic Store for apple bananas--eat one now and put a couple in the jersey pocket. Third place: BombTown to LaCueva, before the Las Conchas fire. Now that ride just makes me sad, even though it is still beautiful. I wish the dang state DOT had not chipsealed all of NM4. Had to replace most of my tires with wider, softer ones or replace a bunch of fillings.
4. Favorite middle distance ride (less than fifty miles). Kalama Valley through Waimanalo and Kailua and back. Second place, the Bandelier Loop.
5. Favorite short ride: Tantalus Loop, Honolulu. Second Place: Harbor Road/Harbor Hill/Three Sisters/Bacon Loop, Stony Brook, NY.
6. Favorite "Leave No One Left Alive" climb: Camp May Road, Los Alamos.
|Camp May Road. 7700 ft at bottom, 9200 ft at summit of climb, |
in about 3.5 miles