Thursday, December 21, 2017

Solstice Ride


Sun finally makes an appearance over the
trees a little after 0745
Since it is a workday, the Solstice ride was a commute, but as in my last post, a bike ride is a bike ride and commutes are not second fiddle to anything. So as the sun finally got out of bed after sleeping late, I headed off to work.

The wind picked up, which I knew it was supposed to do, and of course it was a headwind. Other than that, all went well.

Happy solstice and if you, like me, are deeply touched by the darkness of the winter solstice, I hope you enjoy your cocoon of darkness as much as I do.

Salsa La Cruz in current battle dress. 
Those Schwalbe Marathon Plus tires mounted on Salsa's Delgado Cross hoops are massive (700-37) but pretty impenetrable to damage.

3 comments:

JerryM said...

Don't leave the La Cruz parked against the trash bins for too long. Someone might think it is out on the curb for the taking :-)

Pat O'Brien said...

Those Marathon Plus tires are almost bullet proof. I run the regular Marathon (green guard) tires on the Soma ES road bike. I haven't had any flats with those either. I use regular tubes and no sealant, so it's the tires stopping the flats.

JerryM said...

I own some Marathon Winter 26 inch tires I used for commuting when I was expecting ice. They are really sturdy, but heavy and slow. Better than crashing though. I do believe modern fast tires have much improved puncture protection than 10 years ago. I have used the following tires for all my road riding, including commute to work year round, without issue for about 3 years with one slow leak in a front Schwalbe tire:
Schwalbe One 700C 25/28 mm
Continental 700C GP 4000 S2 25/28 mm
Compass Naches Pass 26 in. x 1.8 in. Extralight Casing (shockingly fast!)

Maybe I'm just lucky? At my age, I need all the wattage savings I can get.