Sunday, September 8, 2019

Broken Roads and "Mountain Bikes"

I wanted to do a little experiment and see if a Shimano 9 spd XT derailleur matched to a spare 11-32 casette would synch with an old set of Dura Ace 9 Spd STI in order to get me up Hyde Park Road without my eyes bulging out of their sockets. Seems to work really well. Now, I have to see if it works with my 12-27 and 12-28 cassettes. Also want to ditch the 11 cog for a 12. I don't go that fast.

STI Dura Ace Shifters

Compact crank, XT Derailleur and 11-32 cassette.

The whole rig at 13 Mile Rock (a granite boulder 13 miles from the house near the top)
Don't ever take climbing for granite...
Meanwhile, the road needs some work since the monsoon rains washed out a lot of the mountain next to the road and even washed out the road edges. I dropped my front wheel into a collapsed edge a couple weeks ago (yeah, I know, "watch where you are going, dummy") and wrenched my back, which was part of the reason to drop the gear ratios. But collapsed road edges force riders farther into the lane and are a hazard for everybody. I emailed the District 5 DoT engineer but no response. Be careful up there and call the Dist. 5 engineer. After all, we got all that surplus state money from the Permian Basin production, right?



That's how deep some of the drops are up there. Yes, that is the quick release at road level.

More roadside hazard

I was hoping this was a sign that the state was fixing the roads but a park ranger said it was work they were doing on their driveways


No comments: