For you mountainbikers and hikers out there. FYI
The new restrictions apply to all wilderness areas including the Chama River Canyon Wilderness, Dome Wilderness, Pecos Wilderness and San Pedro Parks Wilderness.
The forests previously have been under Stage I restrictions, which ban smoking outside of vehicles or buildings, fireworks and campfires outside of developed sites.
The Stage 2 restrictions prohibit:
- Building, maintaining, attending or using a fire, campfire, charcoal, coal, wood or stove fire.
- Using an explosive.
- Smoking, except inside a vehicle or building.
- Possession, discharging or using any type of firework or pyrotechnic device.
- Possessing or operating motor vehicles, including cars, trucks, SUVs, motorcycles and ATVs, off National Forest System roads.
- Operating a chain saw or other tools or equipment powered by an internal combustion engine, between the hours of 10 a.m. and 6 p.m.
- Welding or operating acetylene or other torches with open flames.
For other information, go to http://www.fs.fed.us/r3/sfe/ or http://nmfireinfo.wordpress.com/ or http://www.publiclands.org/firenews/NM.php
Or call 505-438-5300.