Sunday, March 25, 2018

Bicycling in and around Fanta Se

Well, I finally unpacked enough boxes that I can find the bicycles, helmets, and shoes in the mini-garage in Estate Solana (the previous owners had converted about a third of the small garage to a laundry/spare bathroom, so its really a motorcycle/bicycle garage now).  So it was off to the hills.

There are plenty of places to go as one rides north from Casa Solana. Unfortunately, or perhaps fortunately, some are not paved. I rode up Camino de las Montoyas and then onto Tano (east) Road, followed the access road north, swung north past Tesuque on Bishop's Lodge Road, and up NM 592 into the Sangre de Cristo foothills. At the top of the climb, one can get on Pacheco Canyon Road and take that forest road up to the ski hill at 10k feet (see last summer's post for the destination). Unfortunately, Pacheco Canyon was so washboarded that after a half mile, I thought my fillings would fall out so I gave up and turned back. Not the place for 700-25 Vittoria Open Pro tires on an aluminum race bike.

On returning home, I decided to return one of the commuters to its roots as a cross bike. Let's see how that works next. Besides, since I am now commuting from Fanta Se to BombTowne, there is that other bike set up as a commuter to ride.

Up Santa Fe County Road 76. It looks nice.
Not the ideal washboard bike.
Stock photo from last summer.

End of Mr. Pavement at the top of NM 592.


Salsa LaCruz back to its roots. 
I think a set of 700-43's might be better, but these Richeys were hanging in the garage.
Still a bunch of boxes to unpack, but not today.

2 comments:

Steve A said...

Those unpaved roads look PERFECT for 28c Continental Grand Prix 4 Season tires on a cyclocross bike, however...

Khal said...

I have a set of Conti 4 Season tires that I use in winter, but since the 32's are not in use, I put those on. A little better grip on the dirt and gravel and more flotation.