Saturday, March 31, 2018

Tour de Subaru 18 Month Service

The 18 month Subaru service doesn't take too long but sitting in the waiting room only encourages me to think about buying cars that I don't need. Not to mention, turning more carbs into fat cells. So I threw the newly re-purposed 'cross bike in the back and took it on a short adventure while the service guys were doing their thing on the Forester.

I checked the trail maps before leaving home and decided to find my way to the Spur Trail and from there to the Rail Trail, which will be a future adventure. This ride involved heading up Cerrillos to Governor Miles Road from the dealership, riding to Richards, down Richards past the Community College to the Spur Trailhead, and then off to my destination, the junction with the Rail Trail. Were this a 60k check, I would have time to ride all the way to Lamy and back. But today my purpose was to simply ride to the Rail Trail, poke around a bit, and head back to get the car.

I ran into some mountain bikers at the Spur/RailTrail junction and they told me that the trail was  pretty smooth to Lamy except for some rocky stuff near the Lamy end. They said the ride could be easily done on a cross bike without losing my teeth fillings. So that will be a future ride.

I've been missing BombTowne, but frankly, there is a boatload of cool biking to do down here in Fanta Se.  Might take a while to get bored.  Oh, and since I am nearly to Social Security age, I just joined Santa Fe Seniors on Bikes, since in addition to being well into geezerhood, I have often been called an SOB anyway.

Heading South on the Rail Trail. Smooth as a baby's bottom up here.
At least compared to the singletrack on N. Mesa I am used to (see masthead).
The cross bike was ideal.
Foothills on the other side of the tracks
Heading back towards town on the Spur. 
My main problem is I'm pretty inept when 700-32 Ritcheys meet deep gravel
Nice panoramas along the route
Back to the dealership with 16 miles on the odometer. 
Salsa LaCruz in current form
That's a 48/34 on front and 11/34 on back.
Tires are folding Richey Speedmax Pro, 700-32.
45 psi front and 55 psi in the back.
They ride fast. I wish I did...
A little more flotation in deep gravel patches would have been nice.

No comments: