Wednesday, March 10, 2021

Tom Trowbridge Rides With the Angels

 


  I was pulling into the Frank Ortiz Dog Park with the radio on when the KSFR news announced the untimely death of former KSFR News Director Tom Trowbridge. Tom was also a former New Mexico State Bicycle Coordinator. I've known Tom quite a few years and heard his sonorous voice on the radio since moving to New Mexico. He was also my friend.

Not much is known at this point but if there is some sort of memorial, I'll try to keep folks posted. Get a good ride in for Tom, and listen to KSFR News.

For old times. Tom interviews Tim Rogers and Yours Truly on bike crashes back in 2018.

 
I was going to put up a post on riding gravel bikes on the La Tierra Trails, but this kinda knocked the wind out of my sails. The bottom line is none of this good civic stuff happens unless someone is making it happen. Tom busted his ass as a newsman and a cycling advocate to make both the media and bicycling work. Let his life be an example to the rest of us. These things don't happen by themselves. They only happen if we make them happen. For example, Tim Rogers at the Santa Fe Conservation Trust and the volunteers at Trails Alliance of Santa Fe make places like La Tierra Trails happen.
 
 So long, friend.
 

 


1 comment:

Momiji said...

Hi there,

I stumbled upon your blog post months too late, so apologies for that. I am Tom's daughter, Sam... I just wanted to let you know how much your shout out to my dad meant to me to read. He definitely busted his ass working in journalism, it was his passion even though he never really got paid what he deserved. That said, he loved a good bike ride -- his riding helped with his type 1 Diabetes, which is ultimately what lead to him succumbing to a heart attack. I am most thankful that he went quickly and peacefully.
His love for the bicycling community continues on in people like you and others he inspired. Thanks for carrying on his legacy. I know he's smiling down on you from somewhere.

Sincerely,

Sam Trowbridge