Monday, March 21, 2022

First Day of Spring Ride

 

The road descending into Cañada de los Alamos

Being the first day of spring, I decided to get off my hind end yesterday, wind and all, since the weather was forecast to go back to snow, sleet, hail, and rain today, which it did. Not that I mind, as we need every drop of moisture we can get.

I rode through town and out Old Santa Fe Trail to where it bifurcates into two dead ends. One looked intriguing, going down a steep hill into a little hamlet called Cañada de los Alamos (no relation to BombTowne). So I figured that since my knees, which have been a little creakly lately, seemed to be holding up pretty well, one more steep climb back out was acceptable.

It was a lovely little jaunt down a fast set of switchbacks and then through the little hamlet until...suddenly the pavement ended, going to a dirt road, so I turned around. Riding back out, I had a sudden flashback to riding on the Windward side of Oahu near Olomana, as it seemed eerily familiar--on the windward side of a range from the beeg city, in a little hollow of a hamlet, and a vista off to the east which in this case was not an ocean but the flats of Eldorado.

A nice first day of spring ride it was, about 24 miles.



No comments: