Monday, March 5, 2012

Lucky You Live in BombTown?

If you listened to This American Life yesterday (podcast here), you can get an idea of how bad things can get in a community when the economy goes south and takes the municipal budget down with it. I doubt many of us would want to trade our economic situation in Los Alamos for that of Trenton, NY or Colorado Springs, CO. But with the budget cuts coming down from Uncle Sam and the reduction in force at LANL, I think we better start thinking about teaming more than one horse in our economy rather than figuring out how to spend all that money from Uncle Sam at the local Big Box store. Said it before, say it again here. There is no free lunch.

By all means shop locally, but one has to have paychecks to do that. Plus, I'm not sure the buying binge of toys and crap of the last thirty years is sustainable.

2 comments:

Steve A said...

"I'm not sure the buying binge of toys and crap of the last thirty years is sustainable."

You'd be proud of me. I went to a bike swap meet yesterday and didn't buy anything. Not even that sweet Bob Jackson bike! Darn, now I kinda wish I'd gotten that phone number. Step 1 - I know I have a problem...

Jimbo said...

Uh-oh! There you go again, Khal, talking about reality!

...Uncomfortable silence.....