Friday, May 31, 2013

Deja vu all over again

Bike rides and fires, then and now. On June 26th, 2011 I planned to ride the Bandelier Loop and then up into the Jemez Mountains. There was a fire burning in the Sangre de Cristos north of Santa Fe.  I ran into some folks from Santa Fe and we knocked each other out riding between the Y and Back Gate. I left the house that day looking at smoke in the Sangre de Cristos and woke up after the ride and a postride nap seeing smoke in the Jemez. Sound familiar?

I guess the good news is we now have a 150,000 acre firebreak to the West of BombTown. Sigh.I took some pics while riding the mountainbike. Here's a sample.

Fire near La Cueva as seen from Los Alamos, 5-31-13 1800
Plume is over Pajarito Mountain 
As seen emerging at the Bayo Canyon trailhead
Fire as seen from the Kwage Mesa singletrack, ~1720
Riding back up behind the North Mesa stables ~1745

No comments: