Tuesday, November 14, 2017

"...Let Your Light Shine Before Teens, That They Be Not Splattered On Your Bicycle"

 So in followup to my Nov. 6th post, tonight I was riding home from work at a little before six (dark) o'clock on the Salsa La Cruz commuter. Upon cresting Conoco Hill (aka Shell Hill) I flipped my Nightrider Lumina 650 to high beam in anticipation of picking up speed on the downhill, as unlike the Nightrider 1200 on my heavy duty commuter, the 650 is a tad less powerful. The 650 throws a nice beam but stuff can still surprise you and at 30 mph, finding an obstruction in the bike lane the hard way ain't fun. Sure enough, after passing the golf course entrance on Diamond Drive and heading for the roundabout on the downhill right sweeper, I suddenly saw two teens looming out of the dark, walking down the middle of the bike lane towards me as I barreled onward at about 30 mph.

It startled me first and I let out a bit of a shriek as I veered hard to port to avoid splattering all three of us on the road. I think I scared the crap out of them. They did likewise to me.

The bottom line is that lights matter. So does situational awareness. I was thinking deer tonight but teens are just as much of a hazard. Don't leave your lights or awareness at home. I may upgrade the 650, which I previously thought was plenty of light. Tonight it was enough but barely.

Everyone should be thinking safety, but the bottom line is that Looking Out for No. 1 is best done by No. 1. Don't count on others to be thinking about your safety. Or their own. I did stop and call LAPD and told them someone should counsel those teens. I hope someone did so. Next bicyclist might be running a 100 Lumen Saturday Night Special.  That's the problem with bike lights--no standardization. Don't outrun your illumination.

2 comments:

JerryM said...

Hi Khal

Seems I'm the only person who comments on your writings these days :-)

On 3 occasions during recent years commuting home form work well after dark, I have encountered an adult male walking north (back to traffic) in the middle of bike lane along the golf course. Like your incident, this person appeared suddenly requiring evasive action by me to avoid an accident. This guy always wore a black or dark gray jacket, black beanie, dark pants, and black gloves. He seemed to be asking to be hit as he was nearly invisible in poor light. All 3 encounters were at 30+ mph and I had to swerve to the white line or further to avoid hitting him. I often thought someone with a low powered light would eventually nail this guy.

Khal said...

I rode home on the MC last night. Passed three bicyclists at about five thirty, when it is pretty dark. Only one had lights.